Vyan

Tuesday, June 16

GITMO Docs show Torture = I Make Up Stories

Rachel Discusses Most recent Document Dump from the CIA/Gitmo Files.


Dick Cheney:

I think, for example, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who was the number three man in al Qaeda, the man who planned the attacks of 9/11, provided us with a wealth of information.


Truth according to the latest set of released documents:

I make up stories,” Mohammed said, describing in broken English an interrogation probably administered by the CIA that concerned the location of Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

“Where is he? I don’t know. Then he torture me,” Mohammed said. “Then I said, ‘Yes, he is in this area.’”


How do we know KSM lied while under torture? Where's Bin Laden Now?

You know who also lied? Dick Cheney and George W Bush.



FBI Interrogator Ali Soufan has repeatedly stated, under oath before Congress and in his Op Ed that harsh tactics did NOT produce actionable intelligence from these suspects. Now we see that the suspects themselves back up Soufan, not Cheney.

It is inaccurate, however, to say that Abu Zubaydah had been uncooperative. Along with another F.B.I. agent, and with several C.I.A. officers present, I questioned him from March to June 2002, before the harsh techniques were introduced later in August. Under traditional interrogation methods, he provided us with important actionable intelligence.


Yet once the torture started, Zubaydah stopped talking to us.

Document released last week from the CSRT (Combat Status Review Tribunals) from GITMO also show that even on the number of persons tortured, Bush and Cheney have it wrong. It wasn't just KSM, Zubaydah and Al Nashiri, it was others as well.

Abu Zubaydah: "After months of suffering and torture, physically and mentally, they did not care about my injuries that they inflicted to my eye, to my stomach, to my bladder, and my left thigh and my reproductive organs. They didn't care that I almost died from these injuries. Doctors told me that I nearly died four times." "They say ‘this in your diary.' They say ‘see you want to make operation against America.' I say no, the idea is different. They say no, torturing, torturing. I say ‘okay, I do. I was decide to make operation.'"

• Al Nashiri: "[And, they used to] drown me in water."

• Muhammad: "This is what I understand he [CIA interrogator] told me: you are not American and you are not on American soil. So you cannot ask about the Constitution."

• Khan: "In the end, any classified information you have is through…agencies who physically and mentally tortured me."



They even admitted to Zubaydah that they knew he wasn't a high-ranking member of Al Qaeda, they knew he wasn't even a combatant yet they kept torturing him anyway.

"They told me sorry we discover that you are not number three, not a partner even not a fighter," Zubaydah said during is tribunal hearing.


Next Up, how will Liz Cheney spin this?

Vyan

No comments: